Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Birth, plus a whole lot more..

Birth... It was a life changer when done the way God intended. I am so proud of myself that I did it without once whining about going to the hospital. Granted, even if I had. I would still be proud of me. It was not easy, but it was empowering and life-changing. I feel stronger somehow for doing it. It is hard to describe but like I am more capable somehow.

D is 16 days old now. We had some issues with nursing due to really bad cracked bleeding nipples. Oh man, it took dedication to keep nursing. On top of that, each time I nursed was the awful horrible afterpains. They were in my lower uterus and in the groove of the muscles in my thighs and knees. Heat helped but at first we had no heating pad. Only through serious belief and dedication to nursing did we make it past that week. Every latch was painful, and every session seemed to last forever and be full of pain. 

I have to say it was the hardest time I have had nursing. I have a friend that put it like this though. With your first child, you have done all the reading and are very careful about getting that good latch. You pay very close attention. With your second child, you a little less focused on that latch because you have another child to focus on, oops bad latch. Third child, yea a lot less focused on that latch because you now have TWO other children to focus on too.. and so on.. The more children themore likelihood of a bad latch AND I agree with her. 

Now I am going to address an issue which is mostly taboo and not really talked about. Hemmoroids. Holy Canoli, those are un-fun. They are common after childbirth. They make an already unhappy area, even harder to deal with. They are so painful. I developed a rather nasty one about two days after D was born. I ended up in ER for the pain, and while they were not overly helpful in that area. They did give me a prescription to help constrict the blood flow to shrink it to make it not so painful. Anyone that has to deal with this issue has my sympathies. It is one of those things that others go through but don't talk about. 

I do have to say though, that this recovery from childbirth has been my best yet. I often feel so good I forget that I am still recovering from childbirth and then do too much. I really need to just remember I gave birth two weeks ago. I remember just fine when I have done too much. 

With D being 16 days old, and having a 4 plus year old and a 2 plus year old. I am tired. a lot. They are a lot of work, but they are amazing little people. I would not change being a momma for anything. I will admit there are days, when I would gladly drop them off for the day and go get my nails done. I believe having those moments and following through though, just makes me able to deal with the days all the better. It makes me have more patience and understanding for my children when I am not completely emptied out of self-care. 

I will admit I forgot how much work a newborn is. I am used to having two littles that can do a lot on their own. Heck even my youngest decided she was potty trained when D was born. That was amazing and awesome all by itself. So I only have one in diapers. However, one that must be changed 20 times a day it feels like. I admit I got used to not washing poop out of diapers because V started going in the potty several weeks before D was born. L of course is old hat at the potty. 

Life is still not easy for us. Financially it is perhaps the hardest it has ever been for me as an adult. However, God always provides for us and I know he will continue to do so. For those that pray, please keep us in your prayers as we need them. 

There are a few more things that have changed but I will address them later. I did also want to say thank you to each and every person who has sent help to us. We are grateful, immensely so. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers