Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

It's interesting.. the things you can get used to

I realized today that I never thought I would get used to medical school and the impact it has on my family. I also realized that I DID get used to it. I am for the most part used to the fact that my husband is never home. I am for the most part used to the fact that it is just me and the kids most of the time. I won't say there are not times when I desperately wish he were home or that I lived close enough to my sister to go there on a day when I need help. However, on the whole I think I am used to way our life is.

I never thought I would adjust to how much I miss my honey when he is gone. The reality is that when it happens so often, you do adjust. You get used to him being gone often. You learn to not miss them as much. You learn to go on with life and adjust when he is around. I never ever thought I would get to this point. I am not going to say it is a great thing to have to get to this point but I will say if your spouse is in medical school, it is a necessary thing.

There are lots of things about this life I never thought I would adjust to, yet I have. Adjusting though is a different thing from liking it. I still don't like that my honey is never around. I don't like having to explain to my almost 3 year old that we can't call Daddy. I don't like that sometimes she goes days without seeing him due to the hospital. I don't like that the hospital pretty much has ownership papers on my husband. However, I can accept that this is my life.

Amazing the things you can get used to.

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog after your comment on mine. Thanks for the compliment. I'm following your blog now with both of my blogs.

    Anyhow, this post made me happy and sad at the same time. I think you are right that it is essential to accept and adjust to your life the way it is right now. But on the other hand, I wish things were different for you. I can only imagine how hard it is for you & your family to have your hubby gone so much.

    You seem to have a great attitude about it though and that is fantastic! Keep up the positive thoughts and the posting...that seems to always help me a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Followers