Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Believing and Learning...a look at the introspective me...

My birthday is coming up and I thought I would address some of the things I have learned in my 37 years. I have to also admit that for some reason 37 seems to be bothering me some. It is so close to 40 and while I know 40 is still young, I remember a time when it was old. This is saying something given that I don't remember a lot. My husband is fond of telling me he was the one I married one the beach. I have learned a lot in those years though. I am a very different person I think that I was even 10 years ago, and my life is certainly in a different place that it was in 2000.

I know that you have to believe in something. Life is boring, sad and  hard to get through without believing in something. I choose to believe in God. He has gotten me through and still continues to get me through very tough times. I often wonder why we have to go through some of these rough and tumble times, but I am sure at the end of the day, He has a plan. I believe that if I let God control my life, I will go in the direct he would have me go and I will end up where I am supposed to be. To that end, I believe I am exactly where I am supposed to be at any given moment.

My husband asked me tonight why the journey has to be hard. I don't have an answer but I have some clue as to why. I think each journey you take will teach you or someone involved in that journey some lesson that they needed to learn at that precise moment. God never said life was easy, and it certainly cannot be said to be so. He provided us with some amazing things to get through the hard journey though.

Things like love. So much can be said about love and it can never be enough. The word itself does not begin to describe love. I find it interesting that the English language has only one word for love but most other languages have three or more words to describe different types of love. Each kind of love is different and unique but all the same it creates a depth of feeling that no other emotion can duplicate.

Things like compassion and empathy for others. How can you go through life without feeling that for someone or someone feeling it for you. How can you feel those emotions if you have never experienced hardship and struggle. The short answer is simply that you can't. You cannot know how to comfort someone struggling if you yourself have never know a day of pain.

Things like children. I love my children more than my life. They are simply my heart. They teach you about God's love for us. You learn through them each day. You know what it is like to wear your heart outside your body for the rest of your life. You hurt with them, you laugh with them, and you love them deeply without reservation. The feeling a parent holds for their child is simply indescribable.

The last thing I am going to mention is the relationship of a husband and a wife. It is more than just love and companionship. It is hard to put into words just what it brings to life. You learn so much each day from your spouse, you can be married one year or fifty and yet seem to learn something knew about your spouse constantly. I believe through the constant learning you learn much about yourself. As the relationship has an ebb and flow so do you. God gave us another person to lean on when we are at our weakest and to laugh with when we are happy, and give joyously when we need it the most.

Believing in something and learning through that belief is what makes life wonderful. It is what makes it special and unique. It is what makes it blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers